Protecting Your Roof and Home from the Wisconsin Winter
One of the more common problems a roof can suffer from in Wisconsin is ice dams. Ice dams are an insidious and tricky headache for homeowners and Sunset Ridge Exteriors are here to help.
One of the quickest ways to safely remove ice and ice dams from your roof is ice dam steaming. Steaming at low pressure is gentle and safe. It is a great way to apply heat to the ice damn without damaging roofing materials.
Contact us today regarding any possible ice dam issues today!
Frequently Asked Questions about Ice Dams
How do ice dams form?
Ice damns form when rising heat from the home causes snow or ice on the roof to melt, then re-freeze on the eaves and/or gutters of a home, causing a blockage of water coming down the roof.
By having the flow of water off the roof stopped, water then proceeds to collect and move back up the roof, eventually getting under even the best laid shingles. Once the water gets under the shingles, it can come into the home and cause leaks, rot, and damage.
I just got my roof re-done recently. Did that cause the ice dams?
No. Ice dams can form on any roof, regardless of how new or old it is. Water being forced back up the roof can get under any type of shingle or flashing with enough volume.
How do I prevent ice dams?
There is no 100% protection from ice dams, but there are a few things that a homeowner in Wisconsin to do to decrease the odds of ice damns and their damage
- Review attic insulation and roof ventilation to reduce the rising heat’s effect on any snow or ice on the roof. This includes check insulation on or around a scuttlehole.
- Make sure gutters are cleaned before the snow flies.
- Install Gutter Rx gutter guard on gutters, to prevent debris from
- Gently and carefully using a roof rake to remove excessive snow from roof.
What kind of damage can an ice dam do to my home?
Ice dams can cause
- Damage to shingles or cause loosening of shingles
- Damage to gutters
- Mold and mildew in home
- Leaks in attic and wet insulation
- Leaks near windows, vents, and light fixtures on home interior
Why is steaming a good way to get rid of ice dams?
Low pressure steaming is a safe and easy way to remove ice dams from your home. As opposed to pressure washers, which can cut or damage roofing, steaming provides a safer way to remove ice from your roof without causing more roofing headaches later on.
Contact Us Today
Either fill out the form below to contact us or give our offices a call at (608) 838 – 2500